"Go forward in life with A TWINKLE in your eyes and A SMILE on your face, but WITH GREAT PURPOSE in heart." -Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Crunchy Leaves and Warm Bread


I had a roughish than normal week this week, but that being said  I am grateful for it because it gave me the chance to really reflect  on this whole mission thing and my decision to serve. Something that I learn over and over is that we are given trials to become stronger. When trials come, it is so easy to get discouraged, to doubt and to turn inward but we need to remember that all of those feelings are absolutely normal. We are not bad people for having those feelings, but we also should remember who we should ALWAYS turn to for help and light. Jesus Christ-the one person who knows us so perfectly because He has walked in our shoes. He has been there and done that. And then remember that when peace doesn’t come, to have patience because He will always comfort us and help us through hard times. Something that I was able to learn from my mission President that gave me perspective is the example of Nephi in the Book of Mormon. When his brothers tied him us with cords, he prayed to the Lord for strength to break the bands loose and according to his faith, he was able to break those bands. But the lesson to be learned from this story was not only that Nephi had faith sufficient enough to break those bands, but he must have had to work with all of his strength as well. He didn’t just pray, and like magic were the cords broken, but he had to work and work with his own strength. We can pray with all of our faith and heart for strength to get through our trials, but after we get off our knees, we then need to go and work and work; do our part so that the Lord can do His part. This is why I Love the gospel of Jesus Christ so much! So much perspective and lessons can be learned every day, even if we have to learn them over and over. I can be happy and Can Do Hard Things because I have my brother, Jesus Christ on my side at all times. As long as I do His will and stay close to Him, He will be there in the exact moment that I need comfort. He is there for everyone, with His hands extended, and is ready to help.
You know what I have realized this week? Happiness comes through the little things in life. Even if it’s just being able to smell homemade bread while walking down the street(think about that sweet smell walking down Main Street at Disneyland but then replace it with the smell of bread and that is what I experience everyday), or stepping on those dried fall leaves and hearing that “Crunch” Noise! Right? But really people, it’s the little things in life! Look for them, they are everywhere.
Our investigator Lalo is continuing to progress every day. We love him so much. He continues to surprise us every lesson, with how much he has learned, and the Spirit is felt so strongly when we teach him. We also have been working a lot with another investigator Jaime, and his brother Julio. They are loves that make me so happy to be here, serving them. I learn so much everyday from the people here in Chile.
Thank you for your prayers! They worked. It was an absolute miracle for me because I was really sick and the doctor was trying to find a diagnosis, but one day I woke up and like magic I was better. And knock on wood, I haven´t had any health issues since. God is good. All of your love and support help me every day, keep it up. I love you guys so much. Have a Super great week. Les manda abrazos y Besos! Chao until next week.
xoxo, Hermana North
Picture 1: My first zone in Chile! Cambios came this week! I´ll miss them all. 

Picture 2: Making Peanut Butter truffles with Camila. Can I have one just like her please? This is called service by the way ;)

Picture 3: Laughing is a normal thing with us 

Picture 4: Dancing in the middle of the street. One of the ways I live on the edge here

Picture 5: I found the candle isle. I would have bought all of them if I wasn't a poor missionary

Picture 6: Marita

 Picture 7: Remember what I told you about rainbow houses? I am obsessed with the colors here.


No comments:

Post a Comment