"Go forward in life with A TWINKLE in your eyes and A SMILE on your face, but WITH GREAT PURPOSE in heart." -Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Don't Worry, About A Thing



Let’s just get straight to the juice of this past weekend and this week. There is so much to tell! So as all of you know, Jaime was baptized on Saturday. It was such a blessing to be able to see how ready he was for his baptism. All week he called us and told us how at peace he felt and how grateful he was for Hermana Fuentes and me. When we met with him on Saturday, before the baptismal service, he just told us how at peace he was. I was so surprised to hear that just because I feel like with such a big moment and big step in someone’s life, one would feel a little nervous or anxious, but that just reminded me how the Spirit of the Lord works in each one of us. How he prepares us for blessings that we are going to receive. The Spirit blesses us with peace, comfort joy, love, etc. and the Spirit was definitely working in Jaime as he received the blessings of his baptism.
My last week with Hermana Fuentes was very rough for me. Well actually more like my last day with her. I told her that we weren’t allowed to talk about our last moments together until the moment that it really was going to be our last, just so I could rip her off like a bandage and move on. (That sounds so cold hearted, but really, I just didn’t want to be crying all week.) During the reunion de cambios I started crying from the minute that we walked in the door. All of the stress of my new responsibilities hit me and I finally realized that the fact that Hermana Fuentes leaving was really a true fact. I squeezed her hand so hard and stopped my feet saying “No quiero cambiar, No quiero, Hermana!” Yeah, I know real mature. But honestly, I cannot imagine a better companion than Hermana Fuentes. She has taught me so much and I am going to miss her so much. We became the best of friends over the past 3 months that we have been together.  I feel so bad for my new companion, she probably thinks that I am the biggest cry baby ever, but I just need time to freak out for a second and then embrace these changes with all of my heart.
My new companion is the lovely Hermana Burtcher. She is from Arizona- gringa just like me! And she has the same amount of time that I have here in Chile. Our very first goal together is having more FAITH…lots and lots of faith. I am learning so quickly that the place that I am going to be spending 100% of time, literally and in my heart when we are in the street, will be on my knees praying to my Heavenly Father for comfort, peace, and strength. Lots and lots of strength. I can do this. It is not going to be easy, especially because Hermana Birtcher and I are still learning the language, but, in the inspired words of Bob Marley,
“every little thing is gonna be alright”
because the Savior is on our side walking every step with us. I was so blessed to be reminded of this last night when we were teaching one of our investigators, Jocelyn. She is so special to me because over the past couple of weeks, we have been able to build a solid friendship together.  She confided in us last night about a hard time that her and her family is going through right now. While she was telling me about her hardship, all I could feel in that moment was the Love that our Heavenly Father has for her. The words “Atonement of Jesus Christ” flashed in BIG fancy letters in my head. Hard times are always going to come. But something so comforting to know in those hard times is that 1. We have a loving Heavenly Father and because of his infinite love for us, 2. We have a Savior who knows us perfectly because he suffered for every affliction and pain that we have ever felt and will ever feel in this life. Christ suffered for us because he loves us and he wants us to be Happy. The Atonement of Jesus Christ won’t take away hard experiences, but it will take away the burdens that those hard experiences bring.  Thanks to Jocelyn’s experience, I was able to learn this again and feel so much comfort in the things that I am experiencing. Hard times come and go, but our happiness during those trials is determined by our faith and willingness to do God’s will. I know that when we follow our Saviors example we will ALWAYS be okay. We will always be Happy.
This overwhelming change is going to bring me closer to the Lord and I am so grateful for it. Hermana Birtcher and I are going to be able to see so many miracles together as we focus all of our efforts in those who need the Saviors love in their life. Go Team!
Cuidanse!
Con Mucho Amor, Hermana North


picture 1: Catholic Church in front of our pension

picture 2: The Andes mountains from our balcony

picture 3: Singing in the Rain

picture 4: The rivers of San Miguel

picture 5: goodbye to my second zone...some oldies and some newbies

picture 6: The night before His baptism

picture 7: El tremendo Rocky

picture 8: Jaimes Baptism :)

picture 9: Celebrating our June Birthdays together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment