"Go forward in life with A TWINKLE in your eyes and A SMILE on your face, but WITH GREAT PURPOSE in heart." -Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Life On Mars

It was another great week, here in Poeta Neruda, in the day and life of being companions with Hermana Leavitt.  We are having so much fun together- working hard to play hard of course. I decided that if being companions with your best friend on the mission is so much fun, that the married life will be just that much better. There is a trunky thought for you, if there ever was one. Also I decided that being in Chile makes me feel like I am living on Mars! I feel like I am so out of the loop of all of the holidays that I once celebrated back at home (and a whole bunch of other things too). I didn’t realize that this last week was Easter weekend until Thursday. So…..Happy Belated Easter (and St. Patrick’s Day, and Thanksgiving and any other special day that you would like me to insert here). I guess that I haven’t actually missed that many holidays and I don’t feel bad about it, but it’s just crazy that this is my new life and that the old traditions keep on keepin’ on back at home. I do love getting pictures from you guys reminding me about the holidays though- There’s a party in the U.S.A.
Well. I figured that this week I would fill you guys in on some of the Loves that we are sharing the love with. Here we go:
Juan-  The golden investigator. He is about 40 years old. The hermanas found him contacting about 3 months ago. He has been progressing a lot and has a ton of ANIMO to accept everything that we teach him. He is such an inspiration to me. He has such a strong desire to draw closer to God that he is willing to do what He asks, no matter the price. The biggest thing that he has been struggling with is smoking. He wants to quit so bad, but it has been hard for him since all of his friends and family do it. The members have been a huge support with him in going over to keep him company and being his friend.  In our last lesson with him he told us how excited he was for his baptism. That the motivation for him in quitting smoking is to be transparent and worthy to be baptized that day. He truly wants this for himself and actually understands that living close to God will change his life in a good way. There are just too many good things to day about him. Im sure I’ll have more to tell later.
Sebastian- our stubborn and oh so loved inactive member, but more like investigator. The hermanas have been teaching him for a while too. I actually had met him during a division that I did with Hermana Leavitt before I moved to the sector. When I first met him, he didn’t believe in God. And now he questions, “Why does God let us suffer through our trials?, etc” so at least we are making progress there. We talked a lot about the Book of Mormon with him, the importance to read it in order to find answers to our doubts. I told him of my own personal experience with reading it and finding my own answers. I told him that the reason I can be a missionary and answer the (very difficult) questions that he asks us is because I read the Book of Mormon every day.  He is a lot more excited to read now, because if there is someone with a lot of doubts and questions it’s him.
Omar, Katrina and Amalia- Our fairly tale, soon to be reactivated family. They just moved into the ward about a month ago.  They all have very strong testimonies of the gospel and come from strong-in-the-gospel families. Their only struggle with being active is putting God first and having faith in the blessings that come from doing so. They have goals to reactivate so that Amalia can be baptized and so that they can go to the temple to be sealed. We have so much love for them and are just giving the little extra push that they need to Endure to the End.
Today we got to go see a movie in the theater-something that I thought that I would never do on the mission. President gave us permission to see the movie “Son of God” as an Easter present. It was soo good! Have any of you guys seen it? Since I live on mars over here….it could be a super old movie for all I know. But what I do know is that I have a crush on Jesus now.  Haha! It’s good to laugh, just roll with this one.
Life is good. I love you guys tons.
Xoxox, Hermana North
Picture 1: Our lovely elders. Notice Elder Williams ( 2nd from the left) has followed me to Poeta

Picture 2: We are Chilean- check the ID

Picture 3: 6 floors of paradise

Picture 4: We Found Hermana Leavitt's wedding dress at H&M

Picture 5: Yummy bread makes being stood up okay

Picture 6: The quirks of riding the Metro. Sometimes you get serenaded

Picture 7: Crocketas de Tomate. You wish you could have eaten luch with us

Picture 8: Hermana Sandoval- our love who takes so great care of us. Cooking us lunch and coming out with us to our citas [Appointments]

Picture 9: It's Autumn

Picture 10: eating breakfast and just being ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment